Over the last couple of years, pets and their owners have bonded more than ever. We rely on each other during uncertain times for comfort and care. Now that we’re safely traveling again, for the most part, the idea of boarding Fido during vacation is unthinkable. They’re part of the family and need to soak up the sun, too! Keeping this in mind, we’ve located dog-friendly towns across the nation so you can begin mapping out your family road trip.
Our first dog-friendly location is Bend, Oregon. Dog Fancy magazine even claimed this city as DogTown USA in 2012, due to its long list of dog-friendly businesses, events, trails and parks. A weekend itinerary could include:
- McKay Cottage Restaurant – 62910 OB Riley Rd, Bend, OR 97701
- Voted Best Breakfast in Bend since 2010, you’ll want to stop by McKay Cottage Restaurant to get your day started off right. From breakfast burritos to apple-cranberry oatmeal, they have a little something for everyone on the trip. Ask for a backyard table for a dog-friendly experience.
- Riverbend Park – 799 SW Columbia St, Bend, OR 97702
- A scenic hike at Riverbend Park provides miles of paved and unpaved terrain for you and your furry friend. The park also offers an off-leash area with river access for cooling down on a hot, summer day.
- Bonus: The Old Mill District hosts various outdoor events that either begin, end or are stationed at Riverbend Park. Time your trip just right to see hot air balloons take off or a portion of the iconic Pole Pedal Paddle competition.
- Deschutes River – Various entrance locations in Bend, OR
- Looking to get out on the water while visiting? There’s no shortage of paddleboard rentals in Bend. Depending on the amount of time you’d like to spend boarding and level of difficulty you’d like to tackle, there’s an option for everyone along the Deschutes River to check out.
- Campfire Hotel – 721 NE 3rd Street, Bend, OR 97701
- You didn’t think we’d leave out lodging, did you? Grab s’mores for the family and Fido’s favorite treats for a stay at the Campfire Hotel. This outdoor-themed hotel provides much more than a place to lay your head. You can strum some music for your furry friend with free guitars AND enjoy a nice summer night by a giant firepit!
Traveling nearly 2,000 miles east from Bend, we’ll come upon our Midwest vacation recommendation: Duluth, Minnesota. Bring along your passion of flying and your favorite hiking boots when completing Duluth’s itinerary:
- Lake Country Air and Beaver Air Tours – 50000 Minnesota Ave, Duluth, MN 55802
- Want to get a panoramic view of Duluth, Minnesota? You and Fido can experience a trip of a lifetime when you view famous landmarks such as North Shore, Spirit Mountain and more during a Lake Country Air tour.
- Bonus: Dogs fly for free!
- Elys Peak –
- It’s time to stretch those legs and get paws on the ground! Continue to see breath-taking views when you hike 1.7 miles on Elys Peak. You and the doggo will enjoy small hills, valleys and plenty of river views to remind you both you’re on vacation!
- Fitger’s Brewhouse Brewery and Grille – 600 E Superior St, Duluth, MN 55802
- After an adventurous day, authentic Duluth food and drinks are awaiting you at Fitger’s Brewhouse Brewery and Grille. The pub has eight dog-friendly tables out on the patio. Previous guests have paw-sitively reviewed this location for its good food and friendly service — even noting how they provide water bowls for your furry friend.
- Fitger’s Inn – 600 E Superior St, Duluth, MN 55802
- Once you’re done with dinner, you won’t have far to travel with our lodging recommendation. The historic Fitger’s Inn is mere steps away from the brewhouse and provides a great place for you and Fido to catch some zzz’s. This inn provides lakefront views along with a salon and day spa for an owner’s relaxation.
- Bonus: No additional pet fee!
Northern United States
Next, we’re jumping to the northern portion of the country. Have you ever heard of Block Island, Rhode Island? Get ready to dip your toes and paws in the sand when going through this itinerary:
- Mansion Beach – Mansion Road, Block Island, RI 02807
- If you’re on the hunt for some peace and quiet, Mansion Beach may be your first stop. Reviews suggest that it truly feels like a peaceful vacation destination. In addition to relaxing, this beach’s large waves are perfect for surfing or paddleboarding with Fido.
- Kimberly’s – 238 Ocean Ave, Block Island, RI 02807
- Being this close to the ocean, you’ll have access to some of the freshest seafood you’ll ever eat. So of course, we had to add Kimberly’s to the list. This dog-friendly restaurant sits on the waterfront and offers a tranquil place to grab dinner. Lobster mac and cheese, pan-seared salmon, miso-glazed cod and so much more.
- Islandog – 104 Water St, New Shoreham, RI 02807
- About 10 minutes down the road from Mansion Beach is a pet-themed gift shop called Islandog. This quirky, pet-friendly store embodies their motto: “Gifts for pets and their humans.” If Fido gets dirty and you need pet shampoo, you run out of poo bags or you simply want to treat yourselves to some unique souvenirs, Islandog has you covered!
- The Blue Dory Inn – 61 Dodge St, New Shoreham, RI 02807
- Wake up to views of Crescent Beach by staying at the Blue Dory Inn. The pet-friendly inn provides guests with a relaxing stay where wine, hors d’oeuvres and famous Block Island Barnacle cookies are enjoyed every afternoon. Plus, this quaint B&B is a short walking distance to the ferry, restaurants and island shops.
- Bonus: Fido can meet the resident cat, Simon, along with other furry friends staying over at the Blue Dory Inn.
Way down the coast we find our final recommendation, Plant City, Florida. This city is even home to a dog-friendly amusement park! Visualize a vacation of adventure with:
- Dinosaur World – 5145 Harvey Tew Rd, Plant City, FL 33565
- Dinosaur World is home to fossils, life-sized dinosaur models and interactive exhibits for the whole family — furry Fido included! Think about the adorable family photos you’ll be able to take alongside a life-sized woolly mammoth statue.
- Bonus: Water stations are provided throughout the park to keep Fido hydrated!
- Metals & Nature – 1501 State Rd 60 W, Plant City, FL 33567
- Enjoy a scenic two-acre stroll with Fido when you take them to Metals & Nature. Along your walk you’ll be amazed at the wrought-iron work and animals you’ll be able to meet. From a koi fishpond to peacocks strutting their stuff, Fido will have a ton of new friends by the end of your visit.
- Bonus: Metals & Nature is home to trails and picnic tables, so pack a lunch to enjoy after your garden adventure!
- Strawberry Hut Sandwich Shop – 1505 N Wheeler St, Plant City, FL 33563
- Craving a Cuban sandwich or a milkshake? Strawberry Hut offers Cubans, salads, soup and milkshakes galore. This restaurant consists of a walk-up counter and five pet-friendly outdoor picnic tables.
- Comfort Inn – 2003 S Frontage Rd, Plant City, FL 33563
- Get the comfort of home in the form of a hotel room when you stay at Comfort Inn Plant City. Free Wi-Fi, complimentary breakfast and a grassy area for Fido to play make the stay that much better.
The information in this blog has been developed with our veterinarian and is designed to help educate pet parents. If you have questions or concerns about your pet's health or nutrition, please talk with your veterinarian.